National Space Agency Objectives and Activities
National Space Program, determining the vision, strategy, goals and projects of our country in the field of space policies; It is a comprehensive study prepared by taking into account the developments in the world and the existing potential in our country, in order to carry out these in coordination.
Objectives of the National Space Program
• Development of technologies and necessary infrastructures that will come to the fore within the framework of the needs and capabilities in the field of space technologies in our country,
• Reducing our country’s external dependence,
Planning for the use of space technologies as a tool in the development of our country,
• Carrying forward existing talents and achievements in the field of space with national technologies,
• Contributing to the scientific knowledge and experience of humanity,
• Increasing the space awareness of the people of our country, especially the youth.
Why is the National Space Program Important?
Space programs are very costly for countries. The gain, power and international reputation achieved is far above this cost.
• Space programs make important contributions to the value of the geographical location of countries, technological competencies, economic capacity, international cooperation capabilities and economic multipliers.
• Space studies encourage innovation and enable the emergence of new technologies and inventions that can be used in different sectors. In this respect, space programs are not only limited to the space field, but also increase productivity and employment in all sectors.
• Space studies have turned into activities that touch people’s lives and generate value. Our people, with or without awareness, benefit from space technologies and the benefits of space economy have reached great dimensions in our country.
• Space studies make people’s lives easier;
◊ With the construction of small satellites with high capabilities, remote sensing has started to make production processes more efficient in many areas, especially in agriculture.
◊ With the facilities provided by remote sensing satellites, natural resources, transportation networks, cities and agricultural areas can be monitored in real time and important information can be collected for national defense.
◊ Location and time information is provided to every point of the world via satellites in a fast and high accuracy.
• Space economy will further diversify with space tourism, manufacturing in space environment and space mining activities in the coming years.
Turkey Space Agency
Space activities have gained momentum in our country with the fact that space has become the priority agenda in the world politically and economically.
• Space activities to spend resources that Turkey increases since the 2000s, communications and earth observation satellites by way of the important capabilities aerospace industry which has gained owned and trained manpower is poised to become a major player in the future.
• Creating an in-country space studies ecosystem with a policy that prioritizes localness and nationality in space activities is considered a priority. The dynamic and entrepreneurial private sector has also started to take place within this ecosystem. As a result of these developments:
Presidential Decree No. 23 dated 12.13.2018 and ◊ with the relevant organizations of the Ministry of Industry and Technology Space Agency was established in Turkey.
◊ With the Presidential appointment decision dated 7 August 2019, the President and the members of the Board of Directors were appointed.
Space Activities in Turkey
Göktürk 2, our first reconnaissance satellite with a resolution of 2.5 meters, whose design studies started in 2007 with the cooperation of TÜBİTAK UZAY and TUSAŞ, was launched in 2012. In addition to the satellite system, the mission computer and mission software have been developed completely locally and nationally.
• With the Göktürk 1 reconnaissance satellite launched in 2016, the capability to obtain images under a meter has been gained.
• With the experience gained from past satellite production projects, local development of subsystems that can be used in sub-meter satellites started with the IMECE satellite project. The installation of the IMECE satellite was completed in 2020, and it is planned to be launched in 2022.
• TÜRKSAT 6A, our first domestic communication satellite that started in 2014, is planned to be launched in 2022. With TURKSAT 6A, significant capacity increase and critical competencies will be achieved in the field of secure data communication.