Iron 3 Choloride
Iron 3 chloride. It is dark brown in color and acidic. It has the molecular formula FeCl3. The anhydrous compound iron 3 chloride melting point 307,6 ° C.
When dissolved in water, iron (III) chloride undergoes hydrolysis and an exothermic reaction gives off heat. The resulting brown acidic and corrosive solution is used as a coagulating agent in wastewater treatment and drinking water production, and printed circuit boards are copper-based metals etchant. Anhydrous iron (III) chloride is a very strong Lewis acid and is used as a catalyst in organic synthesis.
Iron 3 chloride (FeCl3) usage areas;
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Waste treatment and waste water treatment facilities
- Metal industry
- Chemical laboratory applications
- PVC production sector
How Is Iron 3 Chloride Produced?
- Anhydrous iron (III) chloride can be prepared by combining the following elements:
2Fe (s) + 3Cl2 (g) 2 → FeC3 (s)
- Dissolving iron ore in hydrochloric acid
Fe3O4 (s) + 8HCI (aq) → FeC2 (aq) + 2FeC3 (aq) + 4H2O (I)
- Oxidation of iron (II) chloride with chlorine
2FeC2 (aq) + Cl2 (g) → 2FeCI3 (aq)
- Oxidation of iron (II) chloride with oxygen
4FeCl 2 (aq) + O2 + 4HCI → 4FeCl3 (aq) + 2H2O (I)
What are the uses (processes) of Iron 3 Chloride?
- Iron (III) chloride is used in sewage and drinking water production.
- It is used in anhydrous form as a dry reagent in some reactions.
- It is used to detect the presence of phenol compounds in organic synthesis:
- It is used to precipitate phosphate as iron (III) phosphate in water and wastewater treatment.
- It is used to identify the fixture model in iron meteorites.
- The cylinder used in the intaglio printing industry for intaglio and etching plates for printing images of photographs and artworks in photogravure required for etching.
- Can use it to make printed circuit boards (PCB).
- In veterinary medicine. In addition, in cases where bleeding occurs as a result of bleeding.
- Used to treat mortise of animal nail.
- In a preparation of ferrocene, a metal sandwich complex, it reacts with cyclopentadienylmagnesium bromide.
- It is used with NaI in acetonitrile to slightly reduce organic azides to primary amines.
- Used in animal thrombosis model.
- Used in energy storage systems
- Historically, it has been used directly to make positive plans.
- A component of the modified Carnoy solution used in the surgical treatment of keratocystic odontogenic tumor (COT),
- Used by American coin collectors to date Buffalo nicks, which are so worn out that history is no longer visible.